Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Three days in the Peg

So, I'm here, in Winnipeg, legwarmers at the ready. Then I step outside Ashley's house every morning, bracing myself for the cold that will invade my lungs and damage the skin cells neath my eyes and I realize: hey, it's frigging warm out here!

Well, "warm" being a relative term, of course, but warmER than Toronto! That's right! My days have been spent talking with Ashley and Jenna about how we all don't know what we're doing with our lives, being overwhelmed with possibility, being underwhelmed with reality (and also underwhelmed with "The Imaginarium of Dr Parnasus"...geeze, what the heck happened to the killer intro narrative about "stories sustaining all of life" and all that jazz...and sexing up what was supposed to be a barely 16 year old girl made me feel dirty), and being stressed out about maybe not finding a farm to stay on for the month of February fast approaching.

Now my fears are set aside and I will soon be living either on an animal sanctuary or
an urban farm in L.A, so all is well. Let me share some photos already!



So, we weren't quite sure who this fellow was when we met him at the music store the other day, but he's somewhere between a teletubbie and that purple Griffith thing from our Mc Donald childhood, before they decided generic purple blobs weren't good food role models for kids. (sidenote, I HATE FORMATTING PICTURES IN BLOGSPOT! I'VE GIVEN UP!)





About 50% of the store was covered with polaroids like this.
I just liked this particular section because it said "Babe City". I'd like to know where that is and whether they have an organic farm there.















Next comes a visit to a local artisan and clothing store,
where someone out there understands, as I do, that early
childhood, before they learn to read or really talk, is prime
blackmail time. Anna wasn't sure if this was funny or not, butI had no doubts.














And who can forget this wonder of wonders jungle lamp I found in the never-ending antiqu
shop around the corner. Not just for kids, I hope.
















After always complaining about uninspiring and nonsensical graffiti that I see around the city of Toronto, it was nice to see this mythical realism style really tell it like it is. Though I can't help but wonder whether "Jamo" was paid by the city to do this as a public service announcement or whether he was ironically trying to "stick it to the man" by throwing his words (the man's) back in his face...






Louis Riel and his never-ending speech to an audience of none.
















The awesome claw foot bathtub that I got to have a soak in today while reading Will Self's "Psycho Geography" that Margeaux gave me that I am making dilligent notes in to send to her.














And Finally, Ashley and I on our way home from Jen's on a beautiful spring-ish night.









3 comments:

  1. i want that lamp! so badly!
    and sadly two of the photos did not show up: the graffiti and the last one.

    love love love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. and bizarrely after i posted this, the two other photos showed up.
    jamo is my hero.

    ReplyDelete
  3. poor Louis... when will the people listen?

    ReplyDelete