Monday, February 8, 2010

Natalie and the Nest

I wake up to waffles.

I drive along the coast listening to Radiohead, admiring the happy cattle roam endless stretches of green mountains.

I go to a bar on a mountain in the middle of nowhere and meet people from all over the place as we all dance to a 6 piece, all-white boy Motown cover band.

I eat edible flowers right off the vine and puzzle-piece my way through rock walls as I stare at the ocean and the flocks of pelicans dotting its horizon.

I climb the sides of mountains and realize my mind and my body are saying one thing: "I want it", referring to my overwhelming desire to be in the water. As I realize my desire cannot be realized due to the steep slope of the mountainside, I am comforted instead by stumbling upon a group (herd? tribe?) of 50 or so sea lions, talking, sleeping, swimming and taking care of their young. It is just them and I and the crashing of the waves, and it is a good substitute.

We drive 45 minutes to the nearest town and buy groceries at the local organic food store/cafe, and meet two brothers who only come in to work on the weekends so they can make all vegan and gourmet dishes for the cafe. Upon bringing our salad out, one of them comments "those are shaved brazil nuts, and those are sprouted alfalfa"

4 of us girls sit in the hot tub at sunset, drinking wine and talking about love, new, old, lost, found, and secret.

I've seen 8 hummingbirds. Previous to this, I had only seen about 4 in my entire life.

I make soups and vegan cookies. I make beet salads with goat cheese.

I play the grand piano in the main lodge in the afternoon when no one is around but the front desk staff.

Kata and I sing hymns and favorite songs to each other in the garden in the afternoon when our laptop music dies.

Finally, there is a human sized "Nest" in a tree that has been made by a local artisan that guests can sleep in for a reduced fee. It being a slow season and colder, no one currently chooses to do so, leaving it free for staff to enjoy. Soon enough, I will be nestled inside of it. One of these days.




2 comments:

  1. you write so well my dear.

    and i'm jealous of your sleeping in a nest & communing with sealions. i feel as though you are having lovely adventures. definitely needed. glad that everything worked out, and you were able to get out of crazy mc crazy farm.

    miss you. love you.

    ( as for me...today i picked 7 50lbs sacks of pinecones, and sat alone in the woods for 9 hours. good thinking, hard to escape yourself for that amount of time daily - i look forward to our being able to compare notes in two months time).

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh your little magical journey. it makes my heart smile to know that life is so beautiful for you right now. and my heart smiles knowing that you are beautiful enough to appreciate it.

    i love you and miss you and after reading this i fear that you may never come home. i can't promise sea lions, although sometimes aaron lounges on my bed and looks like one.

    ReplyDelete